Squirrel Baby

Squirrel Baby
It was all she had

Wednesday 18 May 2011

The new man in charge


He's here! Samuel arrived at 2.17am on Friday 6 May with the maximum of fuss. Good job I wasn't stranded on an island or we'd both be dead quite frankly. Poor wee soul had been break dancing on his head in the womb and had gone back to back and got the cord round his neck twice. As soon as I was in triage and assessment (after an hour on my hands and knees in agony in the waiting room), I was on a trolley in acute pain and didn't move off a bed until the following Saturday morning. I refused drugs except for gas and air and hypnobirthing went right out the window. The midwife was getting frustrated with me for not taking the diamorphine but I kept thinking 'I'll just get through this next contraction and then I might have drugs'. I so didn't want a drugged baby. But in the end things got very dangerous and I was rushed for a c section under general anesthetic. Unfortunately they couldn't intubate me so couldn't continue with the section under GA. Luckily, Samuel's heart rate improved and they did a section with an epidural after all. And it was a text book section and Sam was perfect when he came out - 9 on the AGPAR score. 8 pounds exactly. He had a ridge on his head from where he was trying to push himself out the wrong way. But that went after a day or so.
And now a whole new chapter begins. Wonder if I'll ever have the chance to blog any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment